Monday, March 25, 2013

Books never written for the Wheel of Time

Just finished reading Memory of Light for the second time and I'm just about done with listening to Lord of Chaos as an audiobook working my way through the series that way.

It got me thinking about how much Robert Jordan may have done with the series if he hadn't died. Brandon did an excellent job finishing the main series but has been pretty clear that he wouldn't be doing more in the Wheel of Time Universe without Robert's widow's permission and he didn't want to exploit Jordan's work for his own gain.

Still there will be one more book for us, in about a year they are planning on publishing an official Wheel of Time Encyclopedia.

Robert Jordan had mentioned that he had planned to do a prequel trilogy and an postquel (is that even a word) trilogy. The first book of the prequel was published before his death; "New Spring" which followed the Moiraine becoming an Aes Sedai, starting her quest to find the Dragon Reborn and meeting Lan. The second book was to be about Tam al'Thor in the Aiel War, marrying Carrie, and finding Rand. The third book was to be about Moiraine and Lan again and the events leading up to their arrival in the Two Rivers. The postquel books were less discussed but the first was hinted to be about Matt and Tuan quelling the Seanchan civil war. I suspect that the second would have been about consolidating the western realms and how the Dragon's peace would be established. The third I would guess would have been about Shara; possibly with either the combined armies of the West or Seanchen pacifying that land.

Some people speculate that one of the books would be about the Land of the Madmen, a continent to the south of the West that is only briefly mentioned once or twice in the books. I doubt that that was the plan but admit that I'm very curious about what is going on down there. I had imagined that if I was an Asha'man surving the last battle I would have loved to have gotten a group of powerful but good people (Aes Sedai, Asha'man, Elyas Machera, Dreamwalkers, and other 'talented' individuals to go pacify the Land of the Madmen and establish a "Temple of Talents" where anyone could go to learn and share their talents outside of the control of the White or Black towers or any other power groups trying to control such talents.

Other books I would have loved to see in the World of Time Universe:
  • "The Travels of Jain Farstrider" this is a freqently mentioned book in the series and at the end of the series we actually meet Jain. It would be awesome to have a copy of this 'book' that the characters in the Wheel of Time Universe often mention reading and being inspired by.
  • A book telling the story of Isam and Luc's adventures, meetings, corruption to the shadow and merging into Slayer including more information into his unusual abilities. This could also include the fall of Maikier and the death of Rand's biological father.
  • A book about Mordin's rise to power in Shara and showing us more about life in that land.
  • A series about the Athur Hawkwing, the rise and fall of the Ten Kingdoms, and the Trolloc Wars
  • A series about the War of the Shadow from the bore to the breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment